During study sessions in college my roommate Candice and I used to have a “Holy Ghost Party”. A long jam out session to gospel music to help inspire us to keep focused on our studies as we were determined to graduate in four years from our lovely Home by the Sea.Four years later I still utilize the term that Candice coined whenever I play inspirational music to help me focus on housework and other mundane tasks.
More recently my friend Emily was going through a tough time. I offhandedly mentioned that I listen to “Take Me to the King” on my rough days. Emily is an adorable, blonde, super preppy Palm Beach girl and had never heard gospel music before and implored that I make her a mixtape. And thus I became: DJ Deliverance and appropriately named my mixtape “the Holy Ghost Party: a short primer on contemporary gospel music to get you through the blues. I have since shared it with several others with lots of positive feedback; alas, here it is my friends:
HOLY GHOST PARTY
- Take Me to The King– Tamela Man
- No Weapon– Fred Hammond
- I Won’t Go Back-William McDowell
- How Great Is Our God– Chris Tomlin
- The Prayer– Yolanda Adams and Donnie McClurkin
- We Fall Down, But We Get Up– Donnie McClurkin
- Never Would’ve Made It– Marvin Sapp
- Jehovah Knows– Lionel Peterson
- I Am Not Forgotten– Israel Houghton
- Put It On The Altar– Jessica Reedy
- You Don’t Know– Kiki Sheard
- Victory– Tye Tribbett
There are a lot of great songs missing. Perhaps I will put on my DJ Deliverance hat on and release Vol. 2 in the future.